[SATLUG] Yahoo Merger: Technology presents biggest hurdle

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 15:54:32 CST 2008

Borries Demeler wrote:
> There was an interesting article in the NYTimes today - it makes the case
> that one of the fundamental obstacles against the MS/Yahoo merger is the
> fact that each company uses dissimilar operating systems and software systems.

Have you ever known M$ to give up over a simple thing like dissimilar
OS?  Bulls in the china closet that they are, they would as soon destroy
Y! as to let it run on an 'alien' OS once they'd acquired it...

> Yahoo is based on open source software like FreeBSD, Java, Hadoop
> (http://hadoop.apache.org/core/) and PHP, while MS of course wants to
> run only MS proprietary systems. When MS acquired Hotmail, it was faced
> with the same issue, and tried and failed to convert Hotmail from FreeBSD
> to NT.

You'll note that they have 'Windows Live' running under their own OS
now, and are finally subsuming Hotmail into it.  It s*cks.  Shortly,
they're going to start checking users inbound: no M$ OS, no access.
> In addition, there are issues of religion. If MS were to acquire Yahoo,
> would the Yahoo experts willingly help MS to convert Yahoo's technology
> from FreeBSD to Windows Server? Would you? Once you had the chance to
> use Linux or FreeBSD, why on earth would you ever want to switch to
> MS? I personally couldn't stand having to work in such a restrictive
> environment.

Not likely.  They buy or take-over Y!, I dump all my accounts with
them.  Save for their IM, Gmail does a better job anyway.  I've already
switched most of my traffic to them.
> Read more:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/18/technology/18integrate.html
>
> -b.