[SATLUG] Printers

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Feb 19 12:00:22 CST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008 3:07 PM, Geoff <geoff at w5omr.shacknet.nu> wrote:

> Please recommend a good, general purpose, reliable printer, that's easy
> on ink, and works well in Linux.

I am a bit late, but I have 2 HP Business InkJet 1200's. Both are Network
attached and Auto Duplex (DN), one has an extra tray (DTN).  They are
supported by the HPLIP project and drivers work OOTB.  I liked this model,
as the ink tanks are separate from the print heads, an the colors are also
separate (4 tanks, 4 print heads).  The tank capacity is almost 10x a
"normal inkjet" (colors are each 28ML and the Black is 69ML) and only costs
~30 per tank.  Print speed and quality are both excellent.

I love them.  My wife has 2 HP MFPs (IIRC they are OfficeJet 6300 series)
and they are both network attached.  The HPLIP tools work perfectly in Linux
(Can scan, print, and Fax from Linux, Natively), so they are also highly
recommended.  I like the 1200's ink setup better than the MFP, but if you
need scanning, the HP MFPs are all supported.