[SATLUG] wireless usb network adapter problem

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 17:38:29 CST 2008

I suspect the old firmware and bios of this ancient Compaq machine not supporting the modern wireless usb network adapter. However, my modern printer and wireless mouse receiver work just fine. It has been used on another computers. it works with 32-bit Linux, not 64-bit Linux, and I've tried it on both usb ports that the machine has.all other usb devices I have tried work just fine. My uptime of 13 days was killed, and I had to use sysreq magic which wouldn't shut down the machine, but made it safe to pull the plug.

chris at debian:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:7a04 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
chris at debian:~$

That second usb port is actually where the wireless usb network adapter is plugged in. I've tried both ports. Now I will plug it into another machine and do lsusb and send another email with the output.

John Pappas <j at jvpappas.net> wrote: The times I have seen this error, it was a bad USB connection (in my case a
cable) but it could be the port or the device's plug.  My suggestion would
be to try different cables, ports, and even PCs.  The kernel panic worries
me, but the driver loading (or in this case, crashing) should not have
effect on the lsusb output.

HTH.