[SATLUG] OT: CD/DVD Drive Repairs

Chris Montgomery chrisncats at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 17:25:58 CST 2008

Sorry for the OT topic, but you folks always seem to have the answers on
stuff like this <g>....

I've had three CD/DVD drives go down when the little nylon belt that
makes the CD's spin and the tray door open/close broke on me. I tried
getting two repaired at a shop last year and they guy couldn't do it, so
I bought a new one and stuck it in my machine and unplugged the power to
the other two. Now this third CD drive's belt broke and is inoperable so
I have no CD drives that work.

Does anyone know where to get the little nylon belts (looks like a small
rubber band) to replace the broken ones? Has anyone ever done the repair
yourself? If not, do you have a recommended computer repair shop where
the techs are competent enough to fix the CD drives?

Thanks!

--
Best regards,

Chris Montgomery