[SATLUG] wireless usb network adapter problem

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 02:21:39 CST 2008

I'm guessing I can give up now on using Debian 4.0 on my old compaq for wireless now. I've got no useful help, and I've tried all that I can think of. It ruined my uptime of 13 days, caused kernel panics, and locked up sessions with users logged in. I had to use sysreq magic to remount all drives as read-only etc. and then safely pull the plug from the machine. I was really hopping that would work out since the wireless usb network card was a xmas present that I am unable to use in 64 bit Linux. Having a 32 big machine hooked up through a crossover cable would have allowed me to contact the router and learn about wireless and legally breaking my own encryption keys and sniffing using my router legally. Also it is useful for me to use whenever I am having trouble connecting to the router through wires and just a fun computer toy to play with. After trying all that I could think of and getting only one response to the problem, I now give up getting it to work, and it goes
 into my pile of spare computer parts.

Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com> wrote: This shows what I said is true. It works fine on any other computer that is not using 64-bit software.

james at james-laptop:~$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 004: ID 0bda:8189 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0781:5151 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Micro 256/512MB Flash Drive
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
james at james-laptop:~$

But why can't it work on the computer that I need it to work on? Other devices work just fine, so that shows me that it isn't a hardware problem. I'm using Debian 4.0 with encrypted lvm2. The wireless card is not broken. The ports on the other computer are not bad. Other possible reasons have shown to not be the cause. How can the wireless usb network adapter work on the Compaq computer with Debian? Also, I don't think it is a distro problem. It worked fine as long as I used that same driver with ndiswrapper on a few distros.

Chris Lemire  wrote: I suspect the old firmware and bios of this ancient Compaq machine not supporting the modern wireless usb network adapter. However, my modern printer and wireless mouse receiver work just fine. It has been used on another computers. it works with 32-bit Linux, not 64-bit Linux, and I've tried it on both usb ports that the machine has.all other usb devices I have tried work just fine. My uptime of 13 days was killed, and I had to use sysreq magic which wouldn't shut down the machine, but made it safe to pull the plug.

chris at debian:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:7a04 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
chris at debian:~$

That second usb port is actually where the wireless usb network adapter is plugged in. I've tried both ports. Now I will plug it into another machine and do lsusb and send another email with the output.

John Pappas  wrote: The times I have seen this error, it was a bad USB connection (in my case a
cable) but it could be the port or the device's plug.  My suggestion would
be to try different cables, ports, and even PCs.  The kernel panic worries
me, but the driver loading (or in this case, crashing) should not have
effect on the lsusb output.

HTH.