[SATLUG] gpg boosting encryption bits with key pairs

Matthew Hunter matthew at infodancer.org
Fri Feb 22 09:44:01 CST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:23:26AM -0800, Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>   I would like some help/guidance and advice on modifying the
>gpg program for Linux to allow me to create encryption key pairs
>of a higher bit encryption.  Sense the program is open source,
>this should be possible. Any suggestions are welcomed. My
>knownledge of programming is mostly in Java, a little c++ and a
>decent amount of bash. Web programming isn?t too terribly
>difficult for me to figure out. I?m assuming that gpg for Linux
>is written in C. Thank you for your time.

If you have to ask this question, any changes you make to gpg
will be significantly more likely to substantially reduce your
security than to improve it.  GPG already allows for command-line
options to specify key sizes (within the constraints of the
algorithms at least), so I would suggest looking at those
instead.