[SATLUG] OT: Video Cards

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Fri Feb 22 17:25:31 CST 2008

scs at worldlinkisp.com wrote:
> I want to upgrade a couple of compact portable
> desktops that have (or haven't) an onboard video
> GPU.  Intended application is text and surfing.
>
> AGP: Question, Nvidia GeForce series, which is better
> and/or a more cost effective GPU, the 5200 or the 6600?
>
> pci Epress-16: same question (different box) as
> above for a pci-express-16 GPU, something to handle
> the same requirements (text & surfing)?

I can only comment on the AGP 5200, using a VIA P4 desktop board, kept
overheating when room temp would hit 90 degrees and screen would go
black, took three times for me to catch on. I mounted a small CPU fan on
the sink and has been running for over a year just fine. this past
summer I ran it with 95+ and never failed. I like it.

I hope to see some comments on the 6600 since i was wondering about it.
Herb