[SATLUG] OT: Video Cards

Matthew Hunter matthew at infodancer.org
Fri Feb 22 19:55:56 CST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 05:58:15PM -0600, Brian Lewis <astro at astr0.org> wrote:
> ATI is trying but they're not there yet. Not to mention the years ati
> has turned its back on the open source community. Ive always had great
> performance from my nvidia cards and nothing but problems with ati
> cards. Not to mention their dual monitor support leaves something to
> be desired, and heat is always an issue with almost all cards in the
> ati family.

Something else to bear in mind; ATI has been publishing specs for
their graphics cards openly (no NDA required) for developers to
use in building open-source drivers.  This is a fairly recent
development so the open-source drivers are still in their
infancy, but it's a BIG step up in terms of support for
open-source.  This flipped me from nvidia; I'd rather have decent
hardware with open-source drivers available than closed-source
drivers that are annoying to install and keep current.