[SATLUG] Question about questions

FIRESTORM_v1 firestorm.v1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 18:18:27 CST 2008

Well....

I can tell you from experience.......

1: Trying to compile a Linux kernel while drunk *may* result in a working
kernel but the odds are against you.
2:  the command "cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp" is a cool thing to do when you
want to scare the bejeezus out of someone via a remote SSH session. (if you
try this, turn your speakers down.)
3: The command "eject /dev/cdrom && eject -t /dev/cdrom" repeatedly via a
remote SSH session is a good way to get your roomates/parents/kids to think
your computer is possessed.
4: anyone telling you to "cat /dev/urandom >/dev/hda" is a safe command is
not to be trusted.
5: If you do attempt to compile a kernel, make sure you know your hardware.
After all, the pegasus, usb_cdrom, usb_storage, usb_hid drivers won't work
if your USB OHCI card can't initialize because you compiled the module for
USB UHCI.
6: There's no place like /home.
7: Or 127.0.0.1

Hope that helps, or at least makes you chuckle.

On a more serious note, Jeremy's right.  The best way to try it is to jump
right in.  A seccondary machine that isn't your test box would be
recommended so if your test box blows up, you can still do research/email
for help/find the nearest liquor store.  An alternative to having two
machines would be to use VMware Server (free) to set up a linux installation
on so that way if it blows up, you won't have to reinstall two OS'es (if i's
a dualboot and something went REALY wrong.

Good Luck.

FIRESTORM_v1