[SATLUG] Upgrade time, with questions!

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sun Feb 24 20:20:24 CST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Justin Burdette <justin.burdette at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Finally decided that this old machine has had it. Newegg is sending me a
> new
> board, processor, case, and memory. I've been running OpenSUSE 10.3 (i586)
> on this computer, and the new one will be an Athlon 64 X2, so I'm
> presuming
> I need to use the x64 version.

Not necessarily.  Ath64 chips are very capable 32-bit chips.  I am running
an Ath64 3000 with OSuse 10.2 x64 with 4GB RAM (upgrading to 10.3 as we
speak) and I only use it for file storage and VMServer duties (have not gone
VMS2 yet, but that has native 64 bit support) and a dual opteron with OSuse
10.2 x64 and 6GB RAM (Same duites, bigger constituency) .  I have not had
any problems, but the x64 stuff is bigger and does consume more memory to
load.  I have no benchmarks to compare run times, but my performance is
acceptable.

> Now I come to the question...I've noticed
> that it doesn't seem that a lot of the packages I can get for i*86 are
> available as x64 packages. What will I need to do to run them on the x64
> system?

32Bit packages will run fine, but you will need the 32bit dependencies.

I tried the OpenSUSE site, but it's harder to navigate than the French
> Quarter during Mardi Gras with a 0.3 BAC.

The wiki is not too bad (en.opensuse.org), but they "revamped" the site when
they released 10.3.