[SATLUG] Upgrade time, with questions!

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sun Feb 24 20:26:54 CST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 6:26 AM, Justin Burdette <justin.burdette at gmail.com>
wrote:

> My next question is about the upgrade itself...do I need to
> reinstall completely (keeping /home, obviously) or can I just use the
> "repair" tools on the DVD to update for the new board, processor, etc.
> And keep my current package configuration?

Yep.  There is an Update option during the Install routine.  I just finshed
a 10.2->10.3 update using that methodology.  The only issue is if you use
additional repos, you will need to add them in the vey beginning.  Also need
to edit the reops fo the new version (ie
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/xorg73/openSUSE_10.2->
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/xorg73/openSUSE_10.3).  If you
miss this step, you will decend rapidly into the pit of dependancy hell.
 You can always come back and grab missed/messy packages later after the
update is compete.  You will get the usual update/deprecations for packages,
so be aware.

HTH,
jp