[SATLUG] Question about questions

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sun Feb 24 20:39:25 CST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM, herb cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:

> I wanna take advantage of the quiet spell and ask this.
>
> So I know now after 9mos that learning Linux is hard and learning Linux
> when you're dumb is really hard. I don't recall seeing this printed as
> super important but you really have to learn about the CLI and learn
> some basic commands as soon as you can, if you are the admin/user.

In this case, VMWare is the best learning tool I can think of.  It let's you
break/fix and play in a protected sandbox, without the hassle of rebooting,
 especially if you only have 1 machine.  It does require some RAM and HDD,
but not as much as a second machine.

> So I also have learned that you need to know some stuff just to know how
> to ask the question, I still don't know what to read on and I wonder
> what questions all you cool dudes on the list would recommend to get off
> the ground learning how to steer the damn ship off the rocks? I mean
> regardless of why I want to use the puter for but to keep it running and
> know how to get out of a fix like being in the galley thinking I was on
> bridge and typing the command and winding up with a black screen, yep I
> did that one.

Again, VMWare is where I learned the most, since I did not always have the
luxury of additional box.  Plus it has rewind...