[SATLUG] Question about questions

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 02:26:02 CST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM, herb cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:

>  I wanna take advantage of the quiet spell and ask this.
>
>  So I know now after 9mos that learning Linux is hard and learning Linux
>  when you're dumb is really hard. I don't recall seeing this printed as
>  super important but you really have to learn about the CLI and learn
>  some basic commands as soon as you can, if you are the admin/user.
>
>  I think one of the most important to understand that when dudes like me
>  is/are a sole user, I am Captain, I must know where the bridge is. To do
>  that I had to understand how to make sure I knew where the bridge is now
>  not last time, tricky devil can be anywhere on the ship, and how to get
>  there when the Captain gives a command.
>
>  So I also have learned that you need to know some stuff just to know how
>  to ask the question, I still don't know what to read on and I wonder
>  what questions all you cool dudes on the list would recommend to get off
>  the ground learning how to steer the damn ship off the rocks? I mean
>  regardless of why I want to use the puter for but to keep it running and
>  know how to get out of a fix like being in the galley thinking I was on
>  bridge and typing the command and winding up with a black screen, yep I
>  did that one.
>
>  Thanks folks, herb
>  --

My favorite thing is to have a roadmap of the CLI commands.
You can buy the book "Linux in a Nutshell" or just go to---
http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/
Click on a command and it will display the important information about
the command.

For example there is no "format" command listed at the URL above.
How can this be?
I use Google search for "usage or examples of whatever command I looking for".
Example "usage format linux" or "linux format usage" or "format usage linux".
If this doesn't return any useful results, replace "usage" with
"examples" and try again.
You will get a world of information about how linux formats without
having a specific command to do that.

In the old days the "man" pages had this information plus useful
examples of how to use the command.
Some of those examples still exist in the "info" pages that are
supposed to replace the old "man" pages.
If I find a handy online reference I will send it to you.

Couple of sites new users have found useful---
http://www.scottklarr.com/ - several good URLs here
http://www.scottklarr.com/topic/115/linux-unix-cheat-sheets---the-ultimate-collection/
- a favorite

This one may be a little advanced but it will give you something to
look forward to---
http://www.brajeshwar.com/2008/hot-tips-to-get-the-best-of-linux-in-2008/

Down Memory Lane---
Unix gurus once wore Gucci loafers with no socks, drove BMW's and
immediately removed the "man" pages
from any machine they worked on. Some of them could actually remember
all 700+ CLI commands and the options
for each. That's why they made the "Big Bucks".