[SATLUG] Question about questions

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon Feb 25 08:43:55 CST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 6:35 AM, Borries Demeler <
demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:

> > In this case, VMWare is the best learning tool I can think of.  It let's
> you
> > break/fix and play in a protected sandbox, without the hassle of
> rebooting,
> >  especially if you only have 1 machine.  It does require some RAM and
> HDD,
> > but not as much as a second machine.
>
> If you don't want to spend the money buying VMware, you can download
> the free player and a preconfigured Slackware 11 system VMware image,
> which
> we use for the distribution of our software (it is pre-installed) from
> our website. It may be the quickest way to get you working with Linux
> going this route.
>
> http://www.ultrascan.uthscsa.edu/vmwareplayer.html

True.  I use VMWare Server on my non-workstation boxes, VMWare Workstation
on my sysad's boxen, and Player on users boxes.  I am downloading the image
now so that I can test the AG client.  Is there a particular camera
model/drivers installed?

It comes pre-installed with AccessGrid 3.1 videoconferencing software,
> VNC and of course our software (UltraScan), which you can ignore unless
> you have an analytical ultracentrifuge :-)

I knew that I was missing a cool toy.  Can it be weaponized? ;)