[SATLUG] Disabling savagefb (Frame Buffer)

Frank Huddleston fhuddles at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 13:36:36 CST 2008

Greetings,

  I'm running Debian with kernal 2.6.22-3-686 on an IBM thinkpad T20,
and I've had a long history of problems and fixes with it. The problem
now is something I've seen before, resolved somehow, but don't remember
what I did and can't find anything that fixes it. The symptom is that,
at some point in the boot, the screen divides itself into
several somewhat flickering horizontal bands, delimited by thin white
lines. Only in the upper band does the display change, and in this band
I see the text of the console as it scrolls up. But it's just the top
part: the lower part, where the cursor is, is "covered" behind one of
the lower bands.
Now, this all happends just about the time that the savagefb frame
buffer is enabled, or at least it looks that way to me. As I remember,
this was what caused the problems before, and usually, something added
to the kernel boot line in /boot/grub/menu.lst has fixed this. But I
can't find any reference to such a thing for the savagefb (nofb doesn't
work), and it seems the only way to remove the savagefb module is to
reconfigure and recompile the kernel. It can't be unloaded: several
things depend on it. It's not a loaded module: there's virtually nothing
in my /etc/modules file.
By the way, I'm not automatically starting any X display manager; this
all happens before I even get a chance to do that.
So I'm asking: can anyone suggest anything, even if it's "yes, you're
going to have to rebuild the kernel". I'm sure I didn't have to do that
last time this happened, but that was last time.
Here are some possibly relevant lines from dmesg:

piix4_smbus 0000:00:07.3: Found 0000:00:07.3 device
piix4_smbus 0000:00:07.3: IBM system detected; this module may corrupt
your serial eeprom! Refusing to load module!piix4_smbus: probe of
0000:00:07.3 failed with error -1ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] ->
Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
savagefb: mapped io at d0a00000savagefb: probed videoram:  8192k
savagefb: Detected current MCLK value of 83045 kHz
savagefb: 1024x768 TFT LCD panel detected and active
savagefb: Limiting video mode to 1024x768savagefb: mapped framebuffer at
d0b00000, pbase == f0000000savagefb v0.4.0_2.6: 8064kB VRAM, using
800x600, 37.878kHz, 60Hz
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 100x37
fb: S3 Savage/IX-MV frame buffer device

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Frank Huddleston