[SATLUG] Question about questions

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 18:01:05 CST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 8:39 PM, John Pappas <j at jvpappas.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM, herb cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:
>
>  >

> > I wanna take advantage of the quiet spell and ask this.
>  >
>  > So I know now after 9mos that learning Linux is hard and learning Linux
>  > when you're dumb is really hard. I don't recall seeing this printed as
>  > super important but you really have to learn about the CLI and learn
>  > some basic commands as soon as you can, if you are the admin/user.
>  >

>  In this case, VMWare is the best learning tool I can think of.  It let's you
>  break/fix and play in a protected sandbox, without the hassle of rebooting,
>   especially if you only have 1 machine.  It does require some RAM and HDD,
>  but not as much as a second machine.
>

>  >
>  > So I also have learned that you need to know some stuff just to know how
>  > to ask the question, I still don't know what to read on and I wonder
>  > what questions all you cool dudes on the list would recommend to get off
>  > the ground learning how to steer the damn ship off the rocks? I mean
>  > regardless of why I want to use the puter for but to keep it running and
>  > know how to get out of a fix like being in the galley thinking I was on
>  > bridge and typing the command and winding up with a black screen, yep I
>  > did that one.
>  >

>  Again, VMWare is where I learned the most, since I did not always have the
>  luxury of additional box.  Plus it has rewind...
>

> --

John,

I couldn't agree with you more. I wish I had one tenth of your
ability. I'd be a lot happier technically.
The way I look at it is, there are former jet pilots, jet pilots,
"wannabe" jet pilots and people who think planes look nice in the sky.
That's me. Planes are nice to look at and ride in.
The thing I have liked most about first Unix and now Linux is that I
can learn something every day.
Linux seems to have something even for people who think planes look
nice in the sky.
Just today I learned a whole lot about using VMware for learning and
then using it to stream video. They look nice in the sky.
I still haven't gotten the VMware Tools to install and VMware to do a
version update from the pull down menu.
Mine is all grayed out.
Do I have to install another OS to get that menu active?
I'm just now becoming comfortable with things the list is no longer
talking about.
Thanks for the info.