[SATLUG] Re: Disabling savagefb (Frame Buffer)

Frank Huddleston fhuddles at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 11:17:56 CST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Frank Huddleston <fhuddles at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> > Greetings,
> >
> >   I'm running Debian with kernal 2.6.22-3-686 on an IBM thinkpad T20,
> >  and I've had a long history of problems and fixes with it. The problem
> >  now is something I've seen before, resolved somehow, but don't remember
> >  what I did and can't find anything that fixes it. The symptom is that,
> >  at some point in the boot, the screen divides itself into
> >  several somewhat flickering horizontal bands, delimited by thin white
> >  lines. Only in the upper band does the display change, and in this band
> >  I see the text of the console as it scrolls up. But it's just the top
> >  part: the lower part, where the cursor is, is "covered" behind one of
> >  the lower bands.
> >  Now, this all happends just about the time that the savagefb frame
> >  buffer is enabled, or at least it looks that way to me. As I remember,

    Frank, you can add this to the kernel boot to disable framebuffer:

    vga=off

Thanks, but this doesn't work: apparently only a numerical value is allowed. I got an error saying it couldn't parse the number. "vga=0" had no effect.
I'm sure I didn't have to recompile the kernel the last time to disable the frame buffering.
There's a "video" parameter, but I don't know what it accepts as values. I've seen "video=savagefb:1024x768 at 60", so I tried "video=nosavagefb" - no effect.
Any more suggestions?