[SATLUG] Re: Disabling savagefb (Frame Buffer)

Frank Huddleston fhuddles at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 12:30:15 CST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Frank Huddleston <fhuddles at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >  Thanks, but this doesn't work: apparently only a numerical value is allowed. I got an error saying it couldn't parse the number. "vga=0" had no effect.
> >  I'm sure I didn't have to recompile the kernel the last time to disable the frame buffering.
> >  There's a "video" parameter, but I don't know what it accepts as values. I've seen "video=savagefb:1024x768 at 60", so I tried "video=nosavagefb" - no effect.
> >  Any more suggestions?

    Try this:
    vga=0x317:off
    --
    Jeremy Mann
    jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Yes! That did it... Thanks, Jeremy. While you're at it, can you point me
to a place where I can see what values can be set for the vga parameter?
By the way, in the Debian discussion lists I found and tried a
suggestion to add "vga=normal" to the kernel boot line. That didn't
work. I also saw a suggestion to add vga=normal as a default kernel
parameter, for example: # kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=normal I tried
this, too, with no success. Thanks again, Frank Huddleston