[SATLUG] Questions about Questions Update

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Feb 26 15:36:58 CST 2008

Louis Ridgway wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 10:32 -0600, herb cee wrote:
>

>> So my learn for the first day was how to fix a broken linux file-system,
>> then how to get permissions squared.   I cured the problem by using the
>> Live CD and setting up the LAN first to get useful URLs available from
>> the other box, then learned about gparted so from there it was a snap.
>> un-mounting and running check on the partitions only took few minutes
>> and got a clean bill. The test box then booted right up. So now I have
>> learned some about permissions and how to set all files permissions that
>> I want to copy to the playpen.  I now can.
>>

>> herb
>>

> I too am having problems in ubuntu with permissions.  For some reason I
> can not change any permissions from the terminal that are in files below
> my home file.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Louis Ridgway

Hey Louis, I am trying to do everything inside Gnome, well I found that
just opening Nautilus, or Thunar, (maybe other FMs also but I only using
those two) you can rightclick on any folder or file and choose
properties, you get a dialog with a permissions tab just click it and
set any way you want, I really found it easier than opening the
terminal. And you can set it for a folder and it will auto set all files
inside.
HTHs
herb