[SATLUG] "Growing Linux" Thoughts

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Wed Feb 27 15:56:01 CST 2008

Ernest De Leon wrote:
> Ubuntu is actually at the point where you do not NEED to use the CLI.
> Perhaps if you want to tweak certain things, you will use the CLI, but just
> like a windows box, the majority of users can use it without the CLI.  As a
> matter of fact, if you present it to new users without mentioning the CLI,
> they will be able to use it better.  Sometimes, mentioning and showing a new
> user the CLI will result in more problems than it's worth.  When I present
> Ubuntu to new users, I don't talk about the CLI at all.  I have yet to have
> an issue with that.

I agree Ernest, except I suspect you are working and viewing at a higher
level ... Ubuntu - Breezy-Fiesty-Gutzy is the exact distro I have been
using for 8mos now and I hope to convert my best friend and partner that
lives in FL to Linux. We have been friends for 25yrs and I know she
could not survive Ubuntu She is a very talented artist, well educated
and damn smart. However, technical paradises her, she can barely deal
with the frustration of Windows.

However, since I found that cheap source, I ordered several CDs of
different distros and finally got rountuit, I was hurting to much to
sleep last night from the cold front effects, damn these old bones and
my ehhh- well-spent youth. To distract my head from pain domination I
played with Puppy 3.01 and PCLinuxOS 2007 all night. I am later today
ordering her all of the Puppy 3.01 variations to be sent to her. I
believe she can work this very user friendly OS, but even so I intend to
send her a help sheet just guiding her a bit more than the well
organized help built in. I am sure she could not get by Ubuntu without
lots of phone and chat time frustration. We use the puters to work in
collaboration on art projects, so the conversion will be a live experience.

So there, you have exposed my hidden agenda, but I knew most would
suspect anyway, I doubt that I would attempt this yet were it not for
the existence of SATLUG, lol.

Thanks Ern
herb