[SATLUG] "Growing Linux" Thoughts

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 10:48:48 CST 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 3:56 PM, herb cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:
> Ernest De Leon wrote:
>  > Ubuntu is actually at the point where you do not NEED to use the CLI.
>  > Perhaps if you want to tweak certain things, you will use the CLI, but just
>  > like a windows box, the majority of users can use it without the CLI.  As a
>  > matter of fact, if you present it to new users without mentioning the CLI,
>  > they will be able to use it better.  Sometimes, mentioning and showing a new
>  > user the CLI will result in more problems than it's worth.  When I present
>  > Ubuntu to new users, I don't talk about the CLI at all.  I have yet to have
>  > an issue with that.
>  >
>  I agree Ernest, except I suspect you are working and viewing at a higher
>  level ... Ubuntu - Breezy-Fiesty-Gutzy is the exact distro I have been
>  using for 8mos now and I hope to convert my best friend and partner that
>  lives in FL to Linux. We have been friends for 25yrs and I know she
>  could not survive Ubuntu She is a very talented artist, well educated
>  and damn smart. However, technical paradises her, she can barely deal
>  with the frustration of Windows.
>  However, since I found that cheap source, I ordered several CDs of
>  different distros and finally got rountuit, I was hurting to much to
>  sleep last night from the cold front effects, damn these old bones and
>  my ehhh- well-spent youth. To distract my head from pain domination I
>  played with Puppy 3.01 and PCLinuxOS 2007 all night. I am later today
>  ordering her all of the Puppy 3.01 variations to be sent to her. I
>  believe she can work this very user friendly OS, but even so I intend to
>  send her a help sheet just guiding her a bit more than the well
>  organized help built in. I am sure she could not get by Ubuntu without
>  lots of phone and chat time frustration. We use the puters to work in
>  collaboration on art projects, so the conversion will be a live experience.
>  So there, you have exposed my hidden agenda, but I knew most would
>  suspect anyway, I doubt that I would attempt this yet were it not for
>  the existence of SATLUG, lol.
>  Thanks Ern
>  herb

What was your impression of PCLinuxOS versus Puppy?

RE: Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu? - does KDE make Ubuntu easier to use - anybody
have an opinion?

I like and use openSUSE (currently 10.3) and like KDE with it. I tried
Ubuntu for a while but missed KDE.
Specifically Konsole (the best xterm I ever saw) and the Konqueror
file manager.
For some reason I felt no desire to try Kunbuntu which would have
given me these to use?

I grew up on CLI only systems.
The CLI option is nice to have. I tried using Windows WSH but found
Python or Perl easier and portable.
I had done a lot of work with Context sensitive editors before they
became common-place.
The Context sensitive application is a reality for Content but not in
its selection of the optimum programming language to run in.
Close but no banana yet.