[SATLUG] "Growing Linux" Thoughts

pixelnate pixelnate at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 11:25:45 CST 2008

> RE: Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu? - does KDE make Ubuntu easier to use - anybody
> have an opinion?

Personally, I think Kubuntu is harder to use than Ubuntu. Gnome has so
many fewer options that you don't get confused with options. Sometimes,
especially for new users, that can be quite nice.

> I like and use openSUSE (currently 10.3) and like KDE with it. I tried
> Ubuntu for a while but missed KDE.
> Specifically Konsole (the best xterm I ever saw) and the Konqueror
> file manager.

I don't see what is the big difference between them. The Gnome terminal
has the same tabbed consoles. What makes Konsole better?

> For some reason I felt no desire to try Kunbuntu which would have
> given me these to use?

It is very easy to install Kubuntu (i.e., the KDE desktop) on top of a
default install of Ubuntu. I think it's something like "apt-get install
kubuntu-desktop". Super easy. That's what I did. I am waiting for KDE
4.1 before I try and use KDE full time though. I really want the column
view that Dolphin has. It's one of the main things I miss from OSX.
IMHO, if Nautilus had a columns view, it would forever be my desktop of
choice.

~Nate