[SATLUG] Re: "Growing Linux" Thoughts

Howard Haradon hharadon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 12:23:02 CST 2008

DOH !!  forgot to edit the subject
Duplicate post

>  Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:47:31 -0600
>  From: herb cee <hc at lookcee.com>
>  Subject: [SATLUG] "Growing Linux" Thoughts
>         <satlug at satlug.org>
>
>  I have been pondering, pontifically, into my 78th orbit but still
>  curious as a cat.
>
>  Observations:
>  1. Most on this list will go out of the way and beyond the call of duty
>  to help a perfect stranger switch from Windows-any flavor to Linux-any
>  flavor.
>
>  2. The biggest hurtle is learning how to use the CLI.
>
>  3. A few distros are getting close to rarely requiring the use of the CLI.
>
>  4. If the above is true, would it then be possible to compose a general
>  paper authored and offered by SATLUG on how to switch and get out of
>  DDDD (dreaded deep doo doo).
>
>  5. What would be the simplest, shortest rules and instructions needed
>  that would serve in a large percent of Windows users transition?
>
>  My thoughts are scattered but I do have a few, partly covered in my
>
>  Your thoughts please and I will volunteer to compile and pre-edit the
>  results.
>  tia
>  herb

Hi,  I am especially interested in this topic as I am preparing
the Linux Newbie course, a part of the upcoming OS Fest (Mar.
19-22).  My own ideas about Herb's post:

1. Satlug is a good resource, and I would like to include others
for the course, like these
ubuntuforums.org
fedoraforum.org
linuxforums.org
tldp.org (linux doc project)

What about other STRONG sites for getting Linux help?

2. The CLI may be a problem for some users, but imho,
Linux is not for all, just those who want to learn how to use
it.  Since when is manipulating a computer an easy task?

3. As a SOHO user, who came over from OS/2 in 1999, I
feel that most all distros can be used with little or no required
use of the CLI.  Otherwise, I would/could not have made the
change.  My distro selection method has been - can it find
and use my NIC? - then it passes.  Any VGA, etc. problems
can somehow be solved.

4. Making the switch to Linux is what the Linux Newbie
course should address.  I am hoping that other posters will give
me some good ideas about this.

5. Top-ten list of quick transition steps?

Please let me know your ideas.

Best regards,  Howard
--
Howard Haradon