[SATLUG] 3d effects and ATi

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Fri Feb 29 19:26:18 CST 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 19:43 -0800, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:

> Don't use SuSE.  It sucks :-P

That's not really what I'd call good, constructive criticism. If there's
something specifically you have trouble with concerning openSUSE, ask
here and I'm sure at least one of us has encountered the same issue and
may be able to help you.

The first presentation I took part in at a SATLUG meeting was when
Miguel Figueroa (2nd SATLUG president) and I compiled KDE 1.0 from
sources and installed it on a SuSE box.

Now that Novell owns SUSE Linux, there are some who find their
collaboration with Microsoft too repugnant to deal with SuSE anymore,
but the openSUSE project is still free at http://www.opensuse.org .

I'm running openSUSE 10.3 on an old Dell PowerEdge 2500 with a pair of
Xeons from the Pentium 3 era, and use it as my console for 52 oracle
boxen.  It's been running 24/7 except for kernel / version updates for
two years and never has given me any trouble, but then again I don't use
the GUI tools.  I run
# you
rather than pointing and clicking through pop up windows for updates,
and about all I use the mouse for is pointing at various xterms on the
screen.

My kids run their windows programs (photoshop and a few other school
related applications) in VMware guest sessions on an OpenSUSE host at
home, but I'm using Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS on my laptops because I like to
use different tools for different jobs.

Al Castanoli