[SATLUG] man arrested for copying own CD's

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 21:15:46 CST 2008

I think he's pointing out back doors in general.  I did read about the adobe
thing and the ensuing weak response from one of their photoshop team
member's blogs.  The issue wasn't so much the idea of calling home, it was
the the fact that the IP they were using was 192.168. something
.2o7.net....the fact that 192.168 was positioned in front, and that the 'o'
in 2o7 was capitalized to look like 207.  While the savvy user would spot
the .net and know that it was bogus to begin with, the average user wouldn't
know.  Then again, would the average user know that 192.168.x.x is a private
subnet usually used in home routers?  Maybe, maybe not.  The rage comes from
the fact that either adobe or omniture used a URL that intentionally misled
people 'not in the know'  about networking.