[SATLUG] Man arrested for copying CD's

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 10:48:25 CST 2008

Wow, I can't believe this went on all night and into today.  Sad.

Back on topic...Vista is definitely DRM heavy, although I would hesitate to
say whether or not it 'reports' to M$ that you have copied a CD (or any
other media for that matter.)  I think that it simply denies you the ability
to do so.  Working with a few companies here in Silicon Valley and the Bay
Area that specialize in DRM, it's amazing what I hear from the top brass in
each company.  They are reveling in the fact that any DRM schema will
inevitably be broken.  They sell their 'technologies' to the mass media
houses while informing them that in time, any and all of these
'technologies' will be circumvented.  The media shops themselves are so
paranoid of 'loss' due to piracy that they pay extreme licensing fees and
even sign on for future DRM schema that may come out from the same DRM
company (kind of like SAAS.)  Essentially, the DRM companies have secured
multi-year licensing deals on products that they know will fail.  They don't
need to provide a permanent solution to get paid, just one that will last
long enough to jump on the next DRM bandwagon.  HDMI was seen as the godsend
of DRM, but even that has been circumvented now.  Without revealing any
proprietary information, I can tell you that the next generation of HDCP
compliant 'technologies' currently in testing phases at the labs are really
going to make your blood boil.  Fortunately, they will come with the same
restrictive licensing that HDMI does, so M$ and other large corporations
will bear the brunt of the cost and only their customers will suffer the ill
effects.  If you are a customer of these mainstream technology companies, I
feel for you.