[SATLUG] Man arrested for copying CD's

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 10:57:10 CST 2008

There have definitely been some recent articles about how the RIAA's actions
are having unintended fall out.  Specifically, when a single mother who
barely makes ends meet is sued for insane amounts of money because one of
her kids may have downloaded some songs.  Many arguments can be made as to
who is ultimately right or wrong, but in the end the public sentiment will
win.  If the RIAA is painted as a company who destroys lives (for whatever
reason,) it will be put out of business.  I think the new movement in
mainstream music away from the major record labels to self-promotion via the
web or through other web-type promotion will end in the ultimate
disintegration of the major record labels.  With the internet, you no longer
need a media 'pimp' to make your brand, package it, and shove it down
people's throats.  People have many choices now and a new model is emerging
that is quite strong.