[SATLUG] Regarding Infantile Behavior on "arrested for copying CDs" thread

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Wed Jan 2 13:10:00 CST 2008

Quoting "Jim Wells, President" <president at satlug.org>:

> To all:
> In regards to the recent infantile behavior on "Arrested for Copying
> CD's" thread,  ENOUGH is ENOUGH!
> If the parties involved want to continue their p#ssing match, take it
> off the list or ELSE, I will put the list on a moderated basis and
> then EVERYTHING is going to have to be approved by one of the board
> members.  Either that or the members involved will find themselves
> placed on moderated status and everything THEY post will have to be
> approved.
> Remember this is a LINUX related list.  Political arguments do not
> have a place on this list.

Not trying to fan any flames, but that's not completely true. Core to
the linux philsophy is freedom. If politics are ignored, they can
easily take away our freedoms. Childish insulting and name calling
have no place on this list. Political discussions can. If (probably
when) they decay into madness, because people aren't willing to
listen, or are so set in their ways they refuse to believe that they
might be wrong, or any other myriad of reasons that people resort to
flame wars, something should be done.

A blanket banning of political discussions is not the way to go. That
would also involve banning discussions of the GPL or any licensing for
that fact. As long as people can continue their discussions in a
civilized manner, there shouldn't be any reason to ban them.
Individual offenders should be dealt with. The many should not suffer
for actions (or desires) of the few.

People can always delete emails they don't read, by the same token.
Goes back to the Freedom of speech, not freedom from being offended.

That being said, I understand that this is supposed to be a techincal
list. There are supposed to be technical discussions on the list. For
the most part, that's what happens, flame-wars such as the one that
happened (it was a pretty mild flame war from my point of view)
recently are few and far between. I don't think the SATLUG mailing
list has a problem with flamers and their comments. I don't really
think a moderator bit needs to be set. I'll admit that I fanned the
flames a bit, and I hope I haven't earned my moderator bit set, but I
don't think it's enough of a problem to require such measures for this
mailing list.

Just my thoughts on the recent matters.
David Kowis
|       www.ronpaul2008.com      |    www.sourcemage.org         |
|      Ron Paul for President!   |   SourceMage GNU/Linux        |