[SATLUG] looking for a new mobo

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Wed Jan 2 21:06:01 CST 2008

scs at worldlinkisp.com wrote:
>>> Todd W. Bucy wrote:
>>> I am thinking of building a new box.  Given that
>>> I have two p4 socket 478 chips, I was wondering
>>> if there if someone could recommend a dual
>>> so>cket board.
>>>

>> In the case of SMP systems, both the Mobo and Proc
>> needs to support an SMP configuration.  We will need
>> to know the P4 model to verify if SMP is supported
>> by that chip.  AFAIK Standard P4's do not support SMP.
>>

>>> p.s. did anyone even make one?
>>>

>> I was also unable to find a reference P4 SMP mobo
>> during a cursory search.

> Take a look at an Iwill DH800 Dual Pentium 4 Xeon
> It uses a 604 socket that may hose it for you.
> My knowledge of Intel uP's and sockets is zip, am
> a longtime AMD user, but perhaps this may be of
> some use to you.  However, were I building a new box
> I'd consider the newer dual processor (and now quad)
> available at attractive prices and with a broad
> selection of Mobo's.
> HTH  Lou

Well after much research I have come to the conclusion that the onluy
dual p4 mobos made were xeons.  I have two plain jane p4 (no smp).  I
would love nothing better than to build a new phenom box but I don't
think the wifey will let me get away with it.  Dosn't really matter this
box is gonna be my mythbox so I can't quite justify the expense of
building a completely new system.

Todd