[SATLUG] Office 2003 update blocks older file formats

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Jan 3 19:37:35 CST 2008

> And yes I do know about open office but as of now it is lacking in so
> many ways that it isnt a viable alternative (and they still haven't
> perfected the formatting and performance issues that have been around
> since it was first released)
>
> Sent from my iPhone

I beg to differ - what's the latest version you tried? I have no issues with
performance on my system and use OO for everything from powerpoint presentations
to book chapter or journal publications, and for spreadsheets with really absolutely
no issues. I consider myself a power user, but OO is up to the task - really.

The only time I am not using OO is when I do stuff which is seriously heavy on
equations, in which case I use tex. But even for fairly sophisticated equations
OO's equation editor is definitely up to par with other word processors. Compared
to earlier versions and star office OO has come a long way. Being able to use an
open format and not be forced to use these proprietary formats is worth every
unpaid penny to me :-)

On the other hand, the few times I have tried M$ office I experienced crashes,
lost data and incompatibilities. Forget about it...I'll prefer OO any day.

-b.