[SATLUG] Office 2003 update blocks older file formats

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Fri Jan 4 08:59:18 CST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 7:37 PM, Borries Demeler <demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:

> The only time I am not using OO is when I do stuff which is seriously
> heavy on
> equations, in which case I use tex. But even for fairly sophisticated
> equations
> OO's equation editor is definitely up to par with other word processors.

Forgive the slight deviation of conversation, but have you seen the OOo
LaTeX module? http://ooolatex.sourceforge.net/  I have not tried it, but it
may make accessing my TeX docs much easier.

> Being able to use an open format and not be forced to use these
> proprietary formats is worth every
> unpaid penny to me :-)

I have actual pennies on the line, and do not think that the lack of 100%
MSO compatibilty to be costing me many of them.  Besides MSO does not have
100% compatibility within its own binary proprietary formats either!

On the other hand, the few times I have tried M$ office I experienced
> crashes,
> lost data and incompatibilities. Forget about it...I'll prefer OO any day.

Agreed.  At least I know that I can get the information back, even without
OOo, all I need is `unzip` and `vi`.