[SATLUG] Man arrested for copying his own CD's

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Fri Jan 4 19:49:57 CST 2008

I had read that one of the RIAA attorneys or executives said during a
deposition (or maybe it was in an actual trial) that they considered
someone who ripped a song from their own CD onto their own hard drive
for their own use as "stealing a song", even though that would clearly
fall under the auspices of fair use.

So even though the Post story may be technically incorrect about this
specific case, it does seem to reflect the general attitude that the
RIAA has towards people ripping MP3s off their own CDs.  I just see it
as today's equivalent of recording an LP onto a cassette so you could
listen to it on your walkman or in your car.  The only difference is
that the technology & the medium has changed.