[SATLUG] Man arrested for copying his own CD's

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Fri Jan 4 22:29:24 CST 2008

Ernest De Leon wrote:
> That's correct Herb.  This is the reason that educators may record and show
> media that is copyright-ed for the purposes of education.

Yeah Ernest. also the law specifically cites this for archiving ....

Hard to claim that you cannot copy your legally purchased copy to your
own archive. Also it appears they claim you cannot lend your copy to a
friend to play at a party, but I don't think that particular use has
been challenged by RIAA. the game they are playing is using threat of
legal action unless a settlement is reached, even tho they only have
antidoted evidence to begin with as I understand it purely with the IP
records or someone turning a person in ... The game is filing a 1/4mil
claim that will cost lots to defend and if you lose you are done then
offer a settlement for $2500, no working person can really afford to
fight them.
.... Wonder if they hire bounty hunters? lol.
go read @
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

§ 108. Limitations on exclusive rights: Reproduction by libraries and
archives^41 <http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#1-41>

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this title and notwithstanding the
provisions of section 106,
<http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#106> it is not an
infringement of copyright for a library or archives, or any of its
employees acting within the scope of their employment, to reproduce no
more than one copy or phonorecord of a work, except as provided in
subsections (b) and (c), or to distribute such copy or phonorecord,
under the conditions specified by this section, if —

(1) the reproduction or distribution is made without any purpose of
direct or indirect commercial advantage;

(2) the collections of the library or archives are (i) open to the
public, or (ii) available not only to researchers affiliated with the
library or archives or with the institution of which it is a part, but
also to other persons doing research in a specialized field; and