[SATLUG] Fwd: Herb Ubuntu updates

CHERYL HOLMES cherylholmes at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 5 01:56:57 CST 2008

 Herb, I have had problems with Ubuntu updates too.  Like others have said, I too recommend the Synaptic Manager.  It's excellent.  I have found though that several times the updates (auto) will make something not function at all, function haphazardly, sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't like my soundcard and printer,.  Whenever I have problems though, I report them as bugs to Ubuntu and usually they get fixed pretty fast.  However, this hasn't been the case in the last 2 months.  Not certain why, maybe the holidays or maybe they are working on a new release or something else.  Who knows.  I use Gutsy Gibbons 7.10.  Lately I have been having screen freezes too which I didn't have before and find I have to reboot several times daily because of this.  I have a friend who is a Linux engineer who helps me  sometimes but being  a network engineer he doesn't get down to my level much..LOL
I have read someplace that a  newer version is supposed to be released this month...but I don't know if that's true or not.  If you don't have the website for Ubuntu bug reporting let me know and I'll send it to you.

Currently I have issues with my sometimes it works sometimes not soundcard, printer, smart card reader, unloading Mom's digicam.  I'm hoping those problems will be resolved soon as I have reported them.  Sometimes I just do a reload and start over without updates because the stuff worked fine that way...cheryl

BTW I switched from M$ about 3 months ago...I really don't like the "phoning home" they do and the invasiveness of MS.  I'm not keen on having my machine probed or anything that is invasive without me knowing it.  I see a lot of people on the net, and some other engineers I know call MS Vista, Virusta.
I gave copies of my  Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbons to some Dell engineers who love it and now I hear they are offering an Ubuntu machine besides the  Linspire.  My girlfriend in Dell tech support loves this Ubuntu version too.  I have converted many people uncluding friends and family.  It's really nice not to have to worry about malware, viruses, spyware and the like (and worse) anymore.

I'm still learning because all my life I have been a DOS based system user and later when MS entered the computer industry, was a bigtime Windows person.  Never again though!  I hope to learn a lot from people in the Linux community and hope to be a very advanced user sometime in the future.  cheryl

     Bumper sticker, “Sure you can trust the government – just ask an Indian!”