[SATLUG] Man arrested for copying his own CD's

John Chalinder argiod at bresnan.net
Sun Jan 6 07:19:36 CST 2008

Ah yes, this has strayed off topic. Funny, it started out relating to OS
security and three lettered agency backdoors in Windows...

</rant> <return to topic>

Looks like I may get a new desktop system. I'm shooting for an inexpensive
64bit system that I can run Linux on and upgrade incrementally as I can
afford. With the laptop I have, though it's a fine one, there are limited
upgrades I can make. And, I've made most of those. Already blown out the RAM
to the 2GB max, can't do anything about video RAM, as half of its 128 MB is
'shared' system RAM. And I've already extended the four built-in USB ports
past the system's inherent stability. Time to relegate it to an 'intelligent'
terminal to a decent power box. "Give me room" said Dan'l Boone, when he could
see the smoke from a neighbor's house...

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 13:51:55 -0600
  herb cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:
> Sadly I don't think you are wrong John. I have long felt that the facade
>named the 'War On Drugs' is the worst thing that we have allowed to endure.
>It is clearly in violation of the 21st amendment that ended Alky Prohibition,
>however the Supreams allowed the Prohibition of drugs by declaring it was for
>the greater good, HA!
> Even a fool can see that it's only a tool to arrest whomever they please.
>Obvious when the illegal drug biz is going strong, even the gov admits that
>it exceeds $600mil anual. A good artist friend was driving back from CA and
>got pulled over and searched with his permission. They came up with a small
>bag of pot and I know my friend does not use pot. He felt they planted it in
>his van. He could not afford to drive back to appear in court so forfeited
>the $1500 bail. It's just the money like you point out.
> This thread has gone out of the Linux arena but it is important. I have had
>my say, turning back to reading on Linux
> Thanks herb
> Ernest De Leon wrote:
>> You know, John, I don't want to say that 'I hate to agree with you,' but I
>> like to think that America would stand up and try to stop continuing down
>> the wrong path.  Unfortunately, thus far we've let everything get out of
>> hand.  If the next president doesn't start to fix all of these problems, I
>> think we will need another organization like the ACLU that specifically
>> targets the erosion of our freedom.  It's definitely a sad situation.
>> On Jan 5, 2008 11:06 AM, John Chalinder <argiod at bresnan.net> wrote:
>>> So, George Orwell hit it on the head with his novel "1984" when he
>>> described
>>> the 'Though Police'. The idea of busting people for 'intent' began with
>>> the
>>> 60's drug wars. Back then, the police had to prove intent when dealing