[SATLUG] this gadget caught my eye!

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Jan 6 18:12:13 CST 2008

On 1/6/08, Borries Demeler wrote:

>  Here is a new Linux gadget reminiscent of TIVO and reasonably priced.
>  It has all the right connectors, and entirely open source. Can record
>  to microdrives and USB drives, and does all of this in mpeg4:

No, it's not really like a TiVo.  It's more like a VCR or DVD
recorder, in that it lets you play and make digital copies of the
output from these kinds of devices.  Like old-style VCRs, you can
program it to record at certain times and to use the external IR
blaster to control a TV or cable box, but it doesn't have it's own
cable or satellite-like TV Guide service (so that you could set it to
record certain shows whenever they come up as opposed to just
recording certain time slots on certain days regardless of what might
actually be showing at that time), and it's not networked in any way
so that you can play it back from a client of your choice.

It doesn't integrate any storage, either.

So, take an old-style VHS VCR.  Strip out the tape drive and replace
it with a card reader for a few different types of removable cards,
as well as a USB port so that you could plug in external hard drives.
Take the rest and re-implement pretty much exactly as-is using
open-source software on top of a Linux OS, and give the user some
control over what video format to use at what screen size and what
bit rate.

That's a Neuros OSD.

Myself, I really want those other features that TiVo can bring to the table.

I want an 100Base-TX Ethernet port, as well as 802.11g/n wireless
networking, so that I can watch my shows from whatever local or
remote client I may choose to use.  I want a TV Guide service, so
that I can set it to record my favourite shows whenever they come on,
on whichever channels they come on.

I want it to have some intelligence to say that if I have scheduled
recordings for Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek TNG, that
I might also like Star Trek DS9, or Star Trek Voyager, or Stargate
SG-1, or any of various other SciFi shows.

I also want the thing to be able to use network storage as well as
local storage, so that I can have a half-dozen Neuros OSDs in the
house, all set to record various different shows at various different
times.  I want a central console where I can control all those
devices, and to make use of a new device I can just plug it into the
network and I'm done.