[SATLUG] this gadget caught my eye!

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 19:41:18 CST 2008

This device looks very promising. Checking the forums, the Developers
are actively seeking 'hacks' to further the development. One guy made
a powered back pack that he hooks up to a helmet camera to record his
feats on a bike and snowmobile. Another one is developing a way to
hook up a USB camera.

As a previous owner and user of a TiVO, I had one problem with it,
well several problems. It needed a channel guide of some kind to
record. I could never tell it to record for this amount of time. Also,
there was no way of it knowing when a program went over because of
interruptions or game schedules. I missed the ends of several games
and races there were either delayed or ran long.

As a user of a 'hacked' Xbox, this will probably be definitely worth
the investment. I couldn't find what other codecs it supports, but I
can tell you that the Linux Xbox cannot playback mp4 files without
frequent  problems. The 700mhz chip in the Xbox cannot handle mp4 too
well.

Also, just checked and somebody 'hacked' a FTP server and You Tube
video viewer for the OSD. Only time will tell what else the community
will add to the device.

To me this is the culmination of a user developed open source version
of the Linux Xbox.

I want one! ;)