[SATLUG] this gadget caught my eye!

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Jan 7 00:07:03 CST 2008

On 1/6/08, herb cee wrote:

>  Holy (????) Whew thanks Brad that is a well painted picture and is all
>  that possible today?

Most of them, I think.  MythTV can probably do all or most of them,
although I'm not so sure that it's that easy to set up and configure.

Myself, I'm looking at what I might be able to do with some HDHomeRun
digital HDTV cable tuners (see
<http://www.9thtee.com/hdhomerun.htm>), plus some Elgato EyeTV
software (see
and maybe some Elgato Turbo.264 USB video encoder acceleration
devices (see
and a few used or refurbished Mac Mini's with enough RAM and decent
amount of local disk space, plus some network storage from a central
server (probably also a Mac Mini, connected via FireWire800 to a
high-capacity/high-performance/high-reliability RAID array).

I might use some AppleTV boxes to play the video on the HDTVs in the
house, or stream the content directly from one of the servers with
one of our 17" laptops -- or on my iPhone.