[SATLUG] Nvidia + Flash + Firefox + (K)Ubuntu = Freeze

Kase Saylor h_oudini at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 7 13:04:46 CST 2008

I recently installed Kubuntu 7.10 on a machine at home and I've been
pretty happy with it. Everything seems to pretty much work "right out of
the box" and I can see why (K)Ubuntu is so popular. However, I'm having
a pretty major problem with Firefox and Flash. Whenever I try watching a
video on YouTube the whole computer locks up. I have to turn the
computer off physically. From some tests it seems to have something to
do with the non-free Nvidia driver and the non-free Flash plugin. If I
use the nv driver I don't have any lock ups. Has anyone else experienced
this? If so, has anyone found a solution (besides not using the non-free
Nvidia driver)?

TIA,

Kase