[SATLUG] Nvidia + Flash + Firefox + (K)Ubuntu = Freeze

Kase Saylor h_oudini at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 7 14:08:59 CST 2008

Don Crowder wrote:
> Kase Saylor wrote:
>> I recently installed Kubuntu 7.10 on a machine at home and I've been
>> pretty happy with it. Everything seems to pretty much work "right out
>> of the box" and I can see why (K)Ubuntu is so popular. However, I'm
>> having a pretty major problem with Firefox and Flash. Whenever I try
>> watching a video on YouTube the whole computer locks up. I have to
>> turn the computer off physically. From some tests it seems to have
>> something to do with the non-free Nvidia driver and the non-free
>> Flash plugin. If I use the nv driver I don't have any lock ups. Has
>> anyone else experienced this? If so, has anyone found a solution
>> (besides not using the non-free Nvidia driver)?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Kase
>

> Kase, just for grins, try the PCLinuxOS Live CD, you may decide you'd
> like to try it installed.  My wife and I much prefer it to Kubuntu and
> youtube videos aren't a problem.

The question is are you using am Nvidia card? If so, are you using
Nvidia's non-free driver or are you using the 'nv' driver that is
"shipped" with Linux? I saw the same problems with Fedora. I'll probably
take a look at PCLinuxOS 'cause I just love playing around with
different distributions.

-Kase