[SATLUG] lvm2 and raid 0

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 14:47:39 CST 2008

I don't know why people are thinking that I said striping has redundancy or raid and lvm are the same. I never said either. I know raid 5 requires 3 drives. I was wondering if it is possible to have something similar without 3 drivers. raid 5 offers redundancy and striping. I've decided to install FC8 without LVM and use software RAID only. I have 2 320 gb sata2 drives. Here's what I've decided on.
/boot in raid 1, / in raid 0, /home in raid 1. As soon as / fails, I don't lose anything important, and I can just install something newer than FC8 by the time it does. And swap doesn't need to be in RAID. I'll just give each swap device the same priority in the /etc/fstab for striping.

Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> wrote: On 1/7/08, John Pappas quoted Chris Lemire :

>>  Having redundancy and striping requires at least 3 hard disks, right?
>  Beyond Daniel's input,  Striping requires 2,

A minor technical nit -- striping does not have any redundancy.  It
does still require a minimum of two disks, however.

Brad Knowles

LinkedIn Profile:
SATLUG mailing list
SATLUG at satlug.org