[SATLUG] Nvidia + Flash + Firefox + (K)Ubuntu = Freeze

Samuel Leon leon36 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 21:34:36 CST 2008

Kase Saylor wrote:
> I recently installed Kubuntu 7.10 on a machine at home and I've been
> pretty happy with it. Everything seems to pretty much work "right out of
> the box" and I can see why (K)Ubuntu is so popular. However, I'm having
> a pretty major problem with Firefox and Flash. Whenever I try watching a
> video on YouTube the whole computer locks up. I have to turn the
> computer off physically. From some tests it seems to have something to
> do with the non-free Nvidia driver and the non-free Flash plugin. If I
> use the nv driver I don't have any lock ups. Has anyone else experienced
> this? If so, has anyone found a solution (besides not using the non-free
> Nvidia driver)?
>
> TIA,
>
> Kase

For something to lock linux is pretty bad.  I would guess the nvidia
driver that comes with gusty has a bug in it or something for your card.
  What card do you have?  I would recommend removing the ubuntu one and
installing the real one.

Remove the old stuff:

sudo aptitude remove nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-new nvidia-glx-legacy

sudo aptitude install linux-headers-generic build-essential

Next download the official nvidia ones for your card to /home:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Log out of ubuntu and log into the console as root

Then stop gdm (or kdm for kubuntu):

/etc/init.d/gdm stop

Change directory to where you have downloaded the nvidia driver:

cd /home

Execute the driver install:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-xxxxxx.run

Follow the instructions (takes like 1 minute).  Once done and back at
the console screen start back up gdm and log back in:

/etc/init.d/gdm start

Profit?

Sam