[SATLUG] Nvidia + Flash + Firefox + (K)Ubuntu = Freeze

Kase Saylor h_oudini at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 8 08:46:41 CST 2008

>>> check this site out.  It worked for me.
>>> http://vntutor.blogspot.com/2007/12/why-ubuntu-gutsy-cant-play-flash-in.html
>>> Todd
>>>

>> Thanks for the link, but I actually haven't had any problems installing
>> the non-free Flash plugin. My problem is that there seems to be some
>> problems between the Nvidia driver and the Flash plugin.
>>
>> -Kase
>>

> you might want to try it nevertheless as it seems that there is a
> problem with the ubuntu version of the nonfree flash plugin that is not
> immediately apparent when installing the plugin.  this is especially
> true if you used synaptic to install.  On my system the problem
> manifested itself almost exactly as you described and following the
> link  fixed the problem.
>
> Todd

Yes, this method fixed the problem. I did have to comment out some lines
in a apt file because of a md5sum error, but other than that I've had no
lock ups with flash. What's the difference between the non-free Nvidia
driver via apt and the driver straight from the Nvidia site? BTW, I also
loaded up PCLinuxOS last night and I was very impressed with it, too. I
guess I'll probably just end up going with the first distribution that
uses KDE4 ;-)

-Kase