[SATLUG] IBM Linux Commercial

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Jan 8 09:40:47 CST 2008

Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> John Chalinder wrote:
>
>> Wow! Just watched the ad. It sounds like a commercial for Ubuntu, with
>> its reference to community and sharing. It doesn't sound like IBM;
>> wonder what they were thinking when they made it...
>>
> the future...thats what they were thinking about
>
> Todd

I think it sounds very like IBM in the 50s. I went to work for IBM as a
Customer Engineer (punched card machine repairman) in 1956 and found
them to be the most humane Co. with regard to their employees and
dedicated to customer service. I left IBM for higher pay, I have often
wondered what my career would have been like had I stayed. Ohhhh well.

They introduced the first commercial computer, 705, in 1957 at Norton
AFB  in 1958 where I worked. The installation filled a room 30x35' and
required 35 tons of A/C to cool it.  The CPU had 10k magnetic bead
memory. data entry was via typewriter and punch cards. Output was to
Tape drives 20 online 8 off line and three 150 line per minute printers
plus punch card output. It operated 24/7 processing material inventory.
'Old' herb