[SATLUG] This list Linux/Political

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Tue Jan 8 12:14:10 CST 2008

<2470980d0801070942w2e1de12fl5be692e5b18925fb at mail.gmail.com>
<3ae131d00801071049h468e332fub73993fe7ed6e2cd at mail.gmail.com>
<web-8266628 at be-4.cluster1.bresnan.net>
<47839813.1020403 at grandecom.net>
<kt67o35j1fifqho2fneqh3i908lr3hg385 at 4ax.com>
<4783A1F3.7070507 at grandecom.net> <ff67f9f70801080825u6cd66b83y273166ed0f3b907 at mail.gmail.com>

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 08:25:52 -0800, "Ernest De Leon" <edeleonjr at gmail.com>
wrote:
> something like a forum?

I've seen the subject of forum vs. mailing list come up several times.
There
are people (like me) that just wouldn't visit a forum consistently because
it's
out of the way. I have a hard enough time keeping caught up on the list and
it
comes directly to my mailbox.

If you guys want an area to discuss politics, there are plenty of other
places
to discuss those issues. Slashdot has been mentioned. If you want a forum,
take
a look at www.debatepolitics.com, whose whole reason for existing is to
debate
politics openly. If you want something that's geared more for the willing
participants around here, there are tons of places that offer free mailing
list
or forum hosting.

My point is, I think a general political debate forum (in the form of
mailing
list or forum) is completely outside the scope of what a Linux users group
mission is. If there is a political issue that directly impacts the free
software community, in my mind, it becomes an appropriate topic for
discussion.
Politics are one of the few topics that really push people's buttons and
regardless of that sort of discussion being on this list or another SATLUG
list, it will reflect poorly on the LUG as a whole when those disagreements
get
nasty. I think there's a big risk that if the LUG puts up a political
forum,
whatever majority view prevails could either scare off new members and
directly
hinder the mission of spreading free software and providing assistance to
the
users of free software.

--
Daniel Givens