[SATLUG] This list Linux/Political

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 13:05:42 CST 2008

I think, for the most part, this list stays on topic.  Every now and then
there are deviations from the main topic which is normal for any type of
mail list for that matter.  Being that Linux (and open source to a larger
extent) are 'inherently against the grain' of 'traditional models,' it's not
to much of a surprise that you get opinionated people on the list.  I think
what it boils down to is respect for people.  If you say something political
about anything, and I disagree, I have the choice to ignore it (which I will
do most of the time.)  If I agree, I may say so and I may not.  What I don't
have a right to do is go off the deep end and start insulting views, people
or otherwise.  Along those lines, if someone does attack like that, then
they have chosen to incur whatever consequences may come.

This list helps many people who are new to Linux while providing a 'forum'
for more experienced users to pool collective knowledge to solve problems.
We should always remember that.  In the end, common sense will dictate how
we deal with a situation.  While members jump in here and there when flame
threads start, often, if you look back to the place where the thread went
south, you will see who started the problem.  It is usually very evident.
Those who by either blinding ignorance or purposeful malice cause threads to
become flame wars should be warned and then moderated.  I think that is the
fairest approach.

I also want to note that on some other mail lists that I am a part of, we
typically look at join dates when someone is causing disturbances on the
list.  If a new person seems to be constantly causing problems, that is
indicative of a deeper problem that should be addressed promptly.