[SATLUG] This list Linux/Political

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Tue Jan 8 13:10:13 CST 2008

Hector Bojorquez wrote:
> Personally, I'm not sure I want a public forum for SATLUGGERS to espouse
> politics.
> 1.  I don't want to know that people whose tech skills I admire have
> non-sensical political views (detect the note of ironic arrogance)

why should someone's belief in "little green men" disqualify their
technical ability?  I could care less if you believe that the world is
run by subterranean lizards...can you help me fix my system? Thats what
I care about.
> 2.  I don't really feel comfortable with having public records of people's
> political views-- call me paranoid.. but this supreme court is simply not
> rational and who knows what will happen next

I can certainly understand the you paranoia but this in and of itself is
a political statement which puts you at risk of the very political
entities you are paranoid of.  Besides that the risk is upon the
individual who espouses those views, not necessarily upon you. I suppose
that you know this when you made the above statement as it is now part
of the public record which can be used against you.  Participant beware
is what I say, what you say can come back to haunt you.
> 3.  Whatever spats occurr in such a forum will leak over to the list and
> will ruin good faith efforts

Yes I am sure that it will.  but by providing a area in which such a
conversation can happen within the proper context then when such
incidents occur sanctions can be more easily applied by the board.  Thus
this can go a long way in mitigating the political zealotry on the tech
list.
> 4.  There's already enough zealotry on this list... we don't need another
> forum for that...and by zealotry I'm speaking of spats I've seen concerning
> all sorts of tech issues

Hell, our advocacy of Linux and open source software is a political
statement in and of itself.  Its not so easy to arbitrarily separate
politics from technical issues.  Your statement reveals that you know
this.  I sympathize with this, as zealotry often (but not always)
reveals a closed autocratic mind.  That said, zealotry what ever its
forms is part of the landscape and is unavoidable.  It could be said
that many on this list resist any political discourse on this list
zealously.  Perhaps its better that we discuss what specifically we are
referring to when we say words like "zealotry" and "political."  I am
sure that we can find many instances where voiced political issues that
are popular within the rank and file SATLUGer escape rebuke from the
community but those which are more controversial are seen as disruptive
or dangerous to the group.

Todd