[SATLUG] This list Linux/Political

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Tue Jan 8 13:22:18 CST 2008

<20080108181410.C74514430D at spinnaker.joyent.us> <4783C7AD.2010008 at w5omr.shacknet.nu>

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 12:57:49 -0600, Geoff <geoff at w5omr.shacknet.nu> wrote:
> I disagree.  Any LUG is a users group, most commonly for users in a
> particular community.  Why shouldn't community members have a place to
> voice their opinion on something -other- than just the strict Linux
> topic?  There's some of us who are interested in talking Ham Radio and
> using linux and some of the programs for digital communication.  There's
> mythtv, which, for me, goes the way of a 'special interest group' from
> within then linux community.  Why should those subjects be different
> from politics?  It's just something else to discuss.  Who knows?  One of
> us, or us as a group, might even come up with the answer to all the
> worlds problems ;-)
>
> We'll never know if we don't try.

The things you cited are related to Linux and/or free software. Notice that
I did say that I thought politics related to free software would be
completely on topic and within the scope of relevant issues to a Linux
users group.

I'm sure there other topics that the group is collectively interested in.
Those other topics don't apply to Linux and/or free software and are
inappropriate to this list. It would be like someone coming on here
talking about how the Cowboys suck and starting a fight over that or how
they think Jeff Gordon is a pansy and has no place in NASCAR. If Jeff
Gordon's racing team were using some cool Linux solution to record and
analyze realtime telemetry from his car, it would be appropriate.

If you were to go to the LKML and bring up politics or anything completely
unrelated to Linux, and then start bickering back and forth over it, I'm
sure you would be heavily sanctioned, if not banned outright. I don't see
that as being anti-freedom of speech. I see it as maintaining productive
conversation for the topic the majority of the audience signed up for.

--
Daniel Givens