[SATLUG] This list Linux/Political

Geoff geoff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Tue Jan 8 13:31:30 CST 2008

Daniel J. Givens wrote:
> If you were to go to the LKML and bring up politics or anything completely
> unrelated to Linux, and then start bickering back and forth over it, I'm
> sure you would be heavily sanctioned, if not banned outright. I don't see
> that as being anti-freedom of speech. I see it as maintaining productive
> conversation for the topic the majority of the audience signed up for.

All the more reason for a separate list, yet still related to -our
community- to discuss those things that are -not- on the topic of linux
(like how the Dallas Cowboys suck, how Jeff Gordon is a pansy, why
Oklahoma and LSU were allowed to play in a bowl game, or, for that
matter, why the refs don't call obvious founds committed on the Spurs,
when the team is playing on the road.)

We -all- have Linux in common, -now-.  What *else* might there be, that
we, as a community, could discuss (besides the above mentioned items
-and- politics, religion and -her-) where we might find -yet another-
common interest, or (heaven forbid) even forge a friendship with someone
in our community, because we discover that there's more in common for
some of us, than just Linux?  I'm not advocating a 'singles' type place,
so don't ~even~ go there... but why not just a 'general discussion' area
where we can be the social animals we are?