[SATLUG] This list Linux/Political

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Tue Jan 8 13:57:49 CST 2008

Geoff wrote:
> Jeremy Mann wrote:
>> On Jan 8, 2008 1:33 PM, Todd W. Bucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net> wrote:
>>
>>> the last flame war was just last week.  you can read it in its full
>>> evolution from a slightly legitimate topic into an all out flame war
>>> under the topic of "Man arrested for copying his own CDs"
>>>

>> I consider it an active flame war, so I didn't mention it as the
>> "last flame war".
>

> I've got all those messages archived... in fact, I've got every
> message on this machine, dating back to Jan 17 of 2005.. but I'm not
> gonna go through 'em again, to see what it was...
>
> I -could- export 'em, Todd, if you wanna read through some of the old
> messages that have been in here, for the last 3 years...
>
> --
> A: Yes.
>
>> Q: Are you sure?
>
>>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

I am sure you could but what does that have to do with the postings that
I mentioned as a recent example of a flame war.  I see the "man arrested
for copping his own CD's" post as a perfect example of how easily a
topic can get sidetracked into a irrelevant political topic.  Granted
the original post was not directly concerned with technical issues
rather it concerned the political implications of topic which many on
this list are interested in.  Should we now ban all discussions not
directly related to technical issues or would it be more prudent to
segregate such issues from the technical list onto a voluntarily
subscribed to off-topic list?
Todd